Plant-based remedies are natural and healthy and there are several that can help you get to sleep quicker and stay asleep for longer.
1. Chamomile The crowning jewel of night-time teas, Chamomile is widely regarded as a mild tranquiliser. It produces sedative effects due to the naturally-occurring flavonoid within it, which binds to receptors in the brain to organically relax you both mentally and physically.
2. Valerian Scientifically proven to sedate naturally, Valerian utilises the root of its plant to combat insomnia and anxiety. Valerian needs to build up in the body, so it may take a couple of weeks of regular intake to feel its effects. Not recommended for children.
3. Lavender Lavender is lauded as a sleep inducer primarily down to its anti-stress properties. It can ease out your worries and anxieties and make it easier for your mind to drift out of alert consciousness. Lavender can be drunk as a tea, but more importantly and effectively it can be inhaled before bedtime for a better night's sleep. Lavender is scientifically proven to help you sleep better. We use lavender in all our Dream Sprays.
4. Lemon Balm Lemon Balm supports relaxation and calm, and so it is often included as a secondary ingredient in natural remedies and teas. Lemon Balm hasn’t been scientifically proven to expedite sleep, but it is very popular – so it is definitely worth trying.
5. St John’s Wort A natural anti-depressant and anxiety-suppressant, St John’s Wort promotes sleep by reducing the stress many feel when they try to ‘switch off’ and relax. However, St John’s Wort is not easily harvested and not suitable for everyone especially children, so I recommend you seek the advice of a professional before you try it out.
6. Peppermint Whilst often associated with a morning routine rather than an evening, peppermint is a gentler mint strain and works to calm your internal organs. If you’ve eaten a lot or need help digesting, peppermint can relieve the stress on your stomach and ease you off to sleep.
7. Chinese herbs Chinese medicine is a wide-ranging system of remedies and medicines and includes several herbs that are said to increase sleep quality. Arborvitae Seed, Sour Date Seed, Schizandra Fruit and Poria Paradicis are all prescribed to relax various organs within the body, therefore promoting sleep by relaxing any particular symptoms inhibiting it. Chinese medicine practitioners will tailor remedies to your body and any existing conditions, so may made up of one or more of the above, or another herb or natural substance. Finding a bespoke remedy can be extremely beneficial so it is worth investigating with an experienced practitioner or professional who can help the entire family!